Mandatory visit for tourists from all over Brazil and other countries, the officially named Municipal Market Paulistano, known by many just as Cantareira or Mercadão is one of the most traditional tourist spots in the city.
In the Mercadão de SP, as it is affectionately known by its regulars, it is possible to find fresh vegetables, vegetables and fruits, as well as meat, poultry, fish and seafood, pasta, sweets, spices and imported products of the first line.
The market has a gastronomic space, which offers the opportunity to taste tasty dishes ranging from simple to gourmet recipes, all right there, while appreciating the architectural beauty of the Mercadão. The variety of Mercadão Restaurants attracts thousands of people daily to the place.
Designed by the architect Francisco Ramos de Azevedo’s office in 1926, the Mercadão was inaugurated on January 25, 1933. The execution of the stained-glass windows was delivered to the Russian artist Conrado Sorgenicht Filho, famous for his work in Cathedral Cathedral and 300 other Brazilian churches . In all, there are 32 panels subdivided into 72 beautiful stained glass windows.
The Municipal Market of São Paulo follows the model used by the Berlin Central Market – a covered building with side turrets. The German influence also manifests itself in the modulated plant of the building, which was executed in Germany. The São Paulo building features a concrete structure construction and brick masonry. The neoclassical building with Gothic spices impresses with its beauty.
After the end of World War II, with the Brazilian economy heated, the market became the main food depot. However, in the 60’s, with the creation of Ceasa (São Paulo’s Supply Center), the market trade declined brutally and the environment, due to the lack of safety and hygiene, contributed greatly, and its demolition was considered. The building was not demolished, thanks to the owners of the pits, fairgrounds and sympathizers, who fought for its preservation. For this, they registered the building in the Council of Defense of the Historical, Archaeological, Artistic and Tourist Patrimony of the State (Condephaat), obtaining resources to restore it. In the 1970s and 1980s, the site underwent two minor renovations.
The building – which occupies an area of 12,600 square meters of built area on the banks of the Tamanduateí River – houses more than 1,500 employees who, together, move around 350 tons of food per day in its more than 290 boxes. The permission holders – the name given to the merchant or merchant who is allowed to use the space to sell the products in the Mercadão boxes – have their interests represented by Renome, an association of private law, established for an indefinite period and not for profit.
This street was completely open from the beginning of the 20th century. Before that (in 1897) there existed only the stretch between the Streets Dr. Jorge Miranda and João Teodoro, and that received the name of “Tubarão Street”. Extended in the twentieth century to the vicinity of the current Municipal Market, it was named “Cantareira”, a reference to Serra da Cantareira, located in the North Zone of São Paulo.
Region of springs, since 1864 the government thought to capture the waters of the Cantareira for its distribution in the city. Organized the extinct Cantareira Company of Waters and Sewers in 1877, it was only in 1881 that the service was inaugurated. Cantareira comes from the name pitcher, used clay pot to carry water. Rua da Cantareira is in the center of São Paulo and it is where the Mercadão of the city is located.
Retail – General Public:
Wholesale – Large Quantity:
Luz (Subway – 1 Blue / 4 Yellow)
São Bento (Subway – 1 Blue)
Click here to calculate the best bus route
to reach the Mercadão de São Paulo.
Do you want to go by car? Mercado Cantareira has a
parking lot, which is administered by the system
Blue Zone. The region also has private parking.